NB Department of Natural Resources Spatial Data Files
UNB Libraries and the Department of Natural Resources have signed a sharing agreement which will allow students, faculty, and staff to have access to DNR data for academic (non-commercial) use only. It was decided that the best mechanism for making this data accessible to authorized users under the terms of the licence was to allow them to access restricted data sets over the world wide web.
The purpose of the agreement is to facilitate the use of spatial data in the academic sector to foster the development of analytical skills using spatial data, and to support research within the academic sector. It is the understanding of both parties that due care and consideration will be given to the security and integrity of the files included under the agreement.
Spatial Data 
Please note that some of the following files are very large and that multiple DNR tiles are represented by these shapefiles. The absence of tiles indicates that DNR did not provide UNB the data.
- Forest_1 Forest Development Survey providing complete coverage of the province except for restricted land ownership (1592 shape files)
- Forest_2 Forest Development Survey providing complete coverage of the province except for restricted land ownership (302 shape files)
- Lines Graphic representations of single line features, including roads, streams, transmission lines, and railways, as determined through the DNR interpretation process (1860 shape files)
- Soil Graphical representations of the soils and drainage classes for NB (1877 shape files)
- Buffer Buffer coverages from 2002 Management Plans for Crown Lands (1404 shape files)
- Contour 2009 file
- Deer Wintering Area Deer Wintering Area (DWA) land base for Crown land as finalised for the 2002 Crown Management Plans for Crown Timber Licences (762 shape files)
- Ecosite The ecosite coverages are graphical representations of the ecological classification including ecoregion, ecodistrict, ecosection, and ecosite classifications (1860 shape files)
- Holder Graphical representation of holder info as found in forest layer (1893 shape files)
- Old Spruce-Fir Habitat Old Spruce-Fir Habitat (OSFH) blocks for Crown lands (407 shape files)
Geospatial data sets from other New Brunswick departments and agencies are available for download through GeoNB's Data Catalogue. To add GeoNB your available GIS servers use "http://geonb.snb.ca/ArcGIS/services" as your URL.
Having problems? Drop us a line and we'll try to help